Cash-strapped country refuses to take part in call with EU as poll says Cypriots want to exit the euro zone Cypriot parliament overwhelmingly rejected an international bailout deal Finance Minister Michalis S
By OdiStar – Posted on 21 March 2013
- DailyMail-21 March 2013-Jill Reilly
- Cypriot parliament overwhelmingly rejected an international bailout deal
- Finance Minister Michalis Sarris in Moscow to seek help from Russia
- Possible options: Bank restructuring, a bond issue and Russian funding
- Germany: Cypriot banks are ‘insolvent if there are no emergency funds’
- Survey: 67 per cent prefer to leave the EU along with stronger ties to Russia
Plan B: Cyprus’ President Nicos Anastasiades arrives for a meeting with party leaders at the presidential palace today
The fraught relationship between the EU and Cyprus is growing more unstable as concerns mount that German Chancellor Angela Merkel’s rock-hard line towards the struggling state is pushing it into the arms of Russia.
A poll published today showed an overwhelming majority of the citizens in Cyprus would rather leave the euro zone and develop stronger ties with Russia than accept an unprecedented levy on bank deposits.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2296805/Germany-drives-Cyprus-arms-Russia-Cash-strapped-country-refuses-EU.html#ixzz2OBkNCcdB