December 24, 2013 | 13,381 views

By Dr. Mercola

The absolute best way to help fluoride toxicity is to prevent it in the first place, which is why we are so passionate about removing it from the water supply because it is so hard to remove once it is there.

One of the risks of adding fluoride, a known poison that bio-accumulates in your body, to public drinking water supplies is what may happen if the dosing is off.

This is just what happened earlier this month in one Australian town, where a suspected electrical fault may have allowed fluoride levels to reach nearly double the guideline amount in local drinking water.

High Levels of Fluoride Mistakenly Added to Australian Drinking Water

glass-of-waterRoutine daily monitoring revealed the elevated fluoride levels, which reached 2.8 milligrams per liter (the Australian Drinking Water Guideline is 1.5 mg/L). The levels may have remained elevated for several days.

The fact is that there is a very real possibility of other equipment faults mistakenly dosing populations with dangerous levels of fluoride, and fluoride exposure can easily reach toxic levels.

For example, poison control should be called if you swallow a quarter-milligram of fluoride from toothpaste. Meanwhile, just ONE glass of legally fluoridated water can contain this amount of fluoride.

What is also interesting to note is the Australian drinking water guideline for fluoride. It’s set at 1.5 mg/L, whereas in the US, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has set a non-enforceable recommended guidelines of 2 mg/L, which is intended to protect against “cosmetic” issues like dental fluorosis.

The enforceable regulation for fluoride – the maximum contaminant level — is set at 4 mg/L. Only if fluoride levels exceed this amount can the EPA take action to reduce levels. Perhaps this explains why, even at allowable levels, 41% of adolescents in the US currently have dental fluorosis from overexposure to fluoride.

Continue reading…