- Volume 66 Number 1, January/February 2013
Any discussion of archaeology in the year 2012 would be incomplete without mention of the much-talked-about end of the Maya Long Count calendar and the apocalyptic prophecies it has engendered. With that in mind, as 2013 approaches, the year’s biggest discovery may actually be that we’re all still here—at least that’s what the editors of Archaeology continue to bet on.
However, you won’t find that story on our Top 10 list. We steered clear of speculation and focused, instead, on singular finds—the stuff, if you will—the material that comes out of the earth and changes what we thought we knew about the past.
Here you’ll see discoveries that range from a work of Europe’s earliest wall art to the revelation that Neanderthals, our closest relatives, selectively picked and ate medicinal plants, and from the unexpected discovery of a 20-foot Egyptian ceremonial boat to the excavation of stunning masks that decorate a Maya temple and tell us of a civilization’s relation to the cosmos.
Then there are the discoveries that just made us wonder. What drove someone to wrap their valuables in a cloth and hide them almost 2,000 years ago? And why were people in Bronze Age Scotland gathering bones and burying them in bogs?
The finds span the last 50,000 years and cover territories from the cradle of civilization to what is today one of the world’s most populous cities. These are a few of the discoveries that speak to us of both our record of ingenuity and our humanity. The enduring question is always: Were the people behind the evidence anything like us?
- February 17 – Alabaster colossus of pharaoh Amenhotep III is discovered.
- March 30 – In Georgia, archeologists report unearthing jars containing what they believe to be the world’s oldest honey.
- May 9 – Archaeologists announce discovery on The Burren in Ireland of evidence of settlement from 6000 BCE.
- June 25 – In the Channel Island of Jersey, the discovery of a hoard of an estimated 30,000 – 50,000 Roman and Celtic coins by metal detectorists is announced.
- July – The wreck of the polar expedition ship Terra Nova is discovered off Greenland by the Schmidt Ocean Institute’s R/V Falkor.
- October – In Jersey, the discovery of a hoard of Bronze Age tools and weapons.
- Healing Services
- Implant Removal Process
- Soul Alignment & DNA Activation
- Guardian Protection Initiation
- Spiritual Past Life Clearings
- Preparing for the New Divine Blueprint
- Alchemical Organic Light Realignment And Anchoring Process
- Intrusion Removal & Divine Essence Retrieval
- Co-Creating Your Desired Reality
- Galactic Energetic Solutions
- Essences and Oils
- Alexandra’s Galactic Violet Ray Essences
- Free Yourself from Quantum Entanglement
- An Introduction to My Vibrational Essences
- From Alexandra’s Atelier of Ancient Alchemy
- Personalized Formulas
- Customized Egyptian Oils
- Customized Essential Oil Blends For Your Specifications
- Galactic Essences Testimonials
- How To Use Essential Oils
- Healing For Pets
- Complementary Products
- Healing Services
- Daily Blog
- Galactic Round Table
- About Alexandra
- Why This Website
- Galactic Tools
- Personal Tools
- Build A Bridge To The Golden Age
- A Galactic View of Earth
- Research A-F
- Research G-R
- Research S-Z
- Research Process
- Contact Us