I have wanted to track down the stats on this for well over a year as I have had the intution that crime was actually dropping. Read this article below. What great news!
Violent crime rates have been dropping dramatically for 20 years. Official U.S. Department of Justice statistics show that violent crime rates of 2010 were 1/3 the rates of 1994! Other countries are experiencing a similar decline. And deaths of law enforcement officers are at their lowest in 50 years according to this Boston Globe article, while according to official FBI statistics, rape rates have dropped to one-sixth of what they were 20 years ago! How awesome is that!!! Yet if you just watch the sensationalized news on TV, you might never know about these inspiring trends.
Consider also that 1,000 years ago, rape and pillaging were felt to be the natural spoils of war. The severed heads of enemies hung above the gates on the city wall greeted those who entered there. War atrocities were once the norm, where today they are prosecuted in international courts.
And the number of war deaths has dropped significantly since the over 15 million killed in WWI and roughly 60 million killed in WWII. Roughly three million were killed in both the Korean and Vietnam Wars. Since then, only two wars in Africa and the Soviet war against Afghanistan have had more than a million casualties. We still have a long way to go, but at least wars are now significantly less vicious, and we’ve managed not to destroy ourselves in a nuclear holocaust.
- To see the charts of each type of crime, both violent and non-violent, on U.S. Department of Justice websites showing almost all categories at historic lows, click here and here.
- Read an MSNBC/Associated Press article showing a 70% decline in crime rates at this link.
- Check out a great article with lots of links to reliable sources showing how the media has downplayed the inspiring news of the major drop in crime rates at this link.
- For a list of major wars and manmade disasters which caused the most deaths, click here.
- Explore an excellent online lesson on key, little-known causes behind war and the hidden agendas of the military/industrial complex available here.
Naturally the common people don’t want war. It is the leaders of the country who determine policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people [into war], whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country. ~~ Nazi leader Hermann Goering at the Nuremberg trials.