Up to 1,000 children could have been abused in Britain’s biggest ever child abuse scandal, an investigation has revealed.
Hundreds of children, some as young as 11, are estimated to have been drugged, beaten and raped over a 40-year period in the town of Telford.
Lucy Allan, the Conservative MP for Telford, has called for an inquiry into child sexual exploitation, saying the latest reports were “extremely serious and shocking”. She has previously called for a “Rotherham-styleinquiry” into the allegations.
“There must now be an independent inquiry into child sexual exploitation in Telford so that our community can have absolute confidence in the authorities,” she told the Sunday Mirror.
The investigation claims that allegations dating back to the 1980s were mishandled by authorities in Telford, who repeatedly failed to punish a network of abusers.
Victims claimed that similar abuse, which has been linked to three murders and two other deaths, has continued in the area.
The newspaper’s probe alleges that social workers were aware of the abuse in the 1990s, but that it took police a decade to launch Operation Chalice, an inquiry into child prostitution in the Telford area in which seven men were jailed.
It is also claimed that abused and trafficked children were considered “prostitutes” by council staff, that authorities did not keep details of abusers from Asian communities for fear of being accused of “racism” and that police failed to investigate one recent case five times until an MP intervened.
A spokesperson for Telford and Wrekin Council told the Sunday Mirror: “Child sexual exploitation (CSE) is a vile, evil crime. It’s an issue right across the UK and has been for a long time…Read More at